Monday, September 11, 2006

since I'm waiting

Since I can't go to sleep, yet(see my other blog), I'll share why I run. I started reading the "Women Who Run" book and it inspired me to write my own version of why I run.

I started running in Nov 2001, a few months after 9/11. 9/11 didn't have anything to do with it, but I was depressed and a bit overweight during that period. I haven't exercised since who knows when. I did go on backpacking trip in Yosemite about a week after 9/11 and I was totally out of shape. I was wheezing and panting after hiking up only a few feet. I wheeze anyway because I have asthma, but it wasn't the asthma that caused me to wheeze this time, it was my out of shape body.

I knew I needed to exercise and do something, so I woke up one Sunday morning and decided to go running. I didn't have the right shoes. I don't even remember what shoes I wore. I just got out of the office and ran. I think it took me 45min to run 2miles. My friends say that's impossible, you can walk faster than that. Maybe I miscalculated the distance, but it did take me a good 45min and I was really sore for the entire week.

Then I decided to sign up for a race to keep up with the running. I signed up for a 8K race in Feb 2002. I trained on my own. After that race, I couldn't run for a month. I had the wrong shoes, which caused me heel, knee, itband pain. Basically, I had pain everywhere and I had to see a orthopedic physician. He told me I needed the right shoes. I had no idea. I thought any soft cushioning shoes would work. I was so wrong. I got my first pair of real running shoes and I continue to train for my second race, Bay to Breakers 2002. Then I stopped running for awhile. I had to get motivated, so I went to a TNT meeting and signed up on a fly for a 1/2 marathon fundraising and training program. I learned about wearing the right clothes(no-cotton), stretching, strength training...and I ran my first long distance run in May 2003. And I've been hooked ever since. Of course, there has been some down time, but overall I've been keeping up. I've run 2 marathons and 3 1/2 marathons and looking forward to more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home