Big Sur mile by mile report
mile 1 11:26
mile 2 12:47
mile 3 11:25 (tossed my garden gloves, it was getting warm)
mile 4 13:40 (I heard my stomach growl, not a good sign, I was hungry already at mile 4, how can it be?!, I started to panic, so I took my first Gu about 5 min early)
mile 5 12:04
mile 6 13:06 (porta-potty?, it was cold!, foggy, windy for about 2 miles, wish I kept my gloves)
mile 7 11:28
mile 8 12:37
mile 9 12:18
mile 10 11:10 (downhill)
mile 11 13:35 (Hurrican Point, this was a windy 1 mile hill, not as bad as I thought)
mile 12 12:44 (Hurrican Point, part 2, wasn't bad at all)
mile 13 11:43 (Bixby bridge)
mile 14 11:22
mile 15 11:33
mile 16 12:46 (porta potty, can't remember now?)
mile 17 11:41
mile 18 12:44 (porta potty?)
mile 19 12:02
mile 20 12:32
mile 21 11:59
mile 22 12:11 (porta potty, we made it!, we made the cut-off in 4:30min!I felt better at 22 than at 4)
mile 23 12:35 (hug station and fresh strawberries, I didn't stop for either, I was aiming for a PR; it got hot, the sun was blazing)
mile 24 11:53
mile 25 10:47
mile 26 10:54 (the last hill at 25.5, slowed me down, walked about 20 yds to the crest)
mile .2 2:02 (running at 10:10pace:), I wanted to finish!)
according to my watch 5:17:16, according to chip time 5:17:17, pretty accurate
What I learned and have to relearn:
-do NOT try anything new, yes, I'm usually good about following that old adage, but I dared to try something new on race morning, I ate a spoon of honey, pure honey. The stuff was too potent. It went down my throat too quickly and I was coughing so hard that I wanted to vomit. I was tearing up and my throat was burning. Not a good way to start a race. My boyfriend suggested drinking some warm water and that did help.
-run a consistent pace; we tried and we pulled back as well, running slow the first half gives you more energy the second half; it really works
-if I make the race seem impossible and imagine the worse scenarios, the reality will not be so bad; I imagined these 60 degress hills, so when I saw it and ran it, it wasn't as daunting as I imagined
-run w/friends when I can, other people helps me to run faster
-do my strength exercises
-if I ever have to run so early, I plan to get up and eat a bagel and nuts and try to go back to sleep
-drive the course; it really helps me to plan my race strategy
-eat more the day before throughout the day
-pick another race soon after

1 Comments:
Driving the course always scares me to death. You are so brave.
Post a Comment
<< Home