anterior tiba stress syndrome
I went to see the sports medicine physician on Friday. He diagnosed me with tiba stress syndrome basically a real case of shin splints. Thank goodness it was not a stress fracture or even worse anterior compartment syndrome. I think he thought I was crazy or overly-cautious for even going to see him for some minor pain. I had a hard time reproducing the same sharp pain, so I get the sense he thinks it's a mild case. He recommended only running 4 miles and see how my leg felt. Since I took a few days off and couldn't really reproduce the pain, I ran 10 miles today instead:). I'm usually good about following doctor's advice, but at the same time, you know your body best. My leg was bothering me just a twinge, so I ran 10 instead of my scheduled 13. I iced it when I got home.
Learned a few things from the physician's visit. If you are able to hop on the injured leg, squat with both legs, or squat with injured leg without any pain or little pain, then it's not a stress fracture. Anterior compartment syndrome say on the right leg is more the muscle on the right side of the leg next to the bone. I did not have pain there, so I could rule that out.
I probably will not do trackworkout for a few weeks, but run flat for a few weeks and of course if possible avoid concrete. They say running is easy, just go out and run, but there are 2 factors you have to consider, which can limit your choices drastically: safety and surface.
Overall, I had a good run today. Oh, I also learn I need to take a longer stride and strike my foot more heel to toe. Ah, so many things to consider, but it does take your mind off of running.

1 Comments:
I am so glad for you it's not a fracture. But be, be careful. Well, you know that.
Post a Comment
<< Home