Monday, November 27, 2006

Albuquerque Turkey Trek and more

Sometimes people can surprise you, my family came out and supported me in my 5K Turkey Trek race. My dad said he might entered the race next year. Everytime the topic of running comes up(which is not that often, I keep it on the dl), he mentions how he holds his high school 5k record. I've heard the story at least 6 times. I guess thats what dads/men do...brag? My younger sister even said she would have done the 5K walk, if she knew about it. I didn't mention it to them the option of the walk since my brother-in-law does not believe in paying to run/walk. Regardless of the mix messages I get from my family, I'm glad they came out to support me, especially my mom. For her to see the number of people that come out to race, all ages, the excitement, that it can actually be fun.

Later in the week, while my parents and I were taking a walk, they said 3miles is doable, but a marathon is way too much. My mom thinks I'll rub away my cartilage. Needless to say, my parents don't know that I've run 2 and am training for another one. Yes, I wish I could share my running accompolishments, but no need to stress them out. My mom freaks out when I cough.

After many misconnections, I finally go to meet runliarun in Albuquerque. We only had a short time together. I would have love running with runliarun and chatted more, but that was one of our misconnections:(. Yes, we both agree the internet is incredible. I wouldn't have connected with another fellow runner with much to talk about, found out about the race, found the Albuquerque Road Runners. The internet, the running community...I'm thankful for that:). I'm sure I'll meet up with runliarun again when I'm back in ABQ.

About my Turkey Trek race, it was tough. Only after a few steps into the race, I was tired and panting. I forgot about the elevation and the course was up hill(it didn't show that on the map:)). Albuquerque sits 5280ft above sea level and I'm use to running at sea level. I know I'm a big whiner:). So considering the drastic change in elevation, I did pretty well:).
mile 1: 10:47
mile 2: 10:05
mile 3: 9:06
mile 0.1 1:11
total: 31:11 (according to my watch)
official: 31:31 (there was 1400+people running, definitely a delay)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home